he Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC) executive committee has decided that all new medical and dental colleges forwarded by the federal government will be recognised in accordance with the rules and regulations. According to an official of the PMDC, almost 15 new applications have been forwarded by the federal government and they are under consideration.
Meanwhile, many public and private medical and dental colleges have requested an increase in their annual seats, which the PMDC would consider after inspection. These medical dental colleges are
- Watim Dental College, Rawalpindi
- Bakhtawar Amin Medical and Dental College, Multan
- HITEC Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS),Taxila
- Rai Institute of Medical Sciences, Sargodha
- North West School of Medicine, Peshawar
- CMH Kharian Medical College, Kharian
- Doctors Medical College, Sargodha
- M Islam Medical and Dental College, Gujranwala
- Windsor Medical College, Haripur
- Loralai Medical College, Balochistan
- Turbat Medical College, Balochistan
- Khuzdar Medical College, Balochistan
- Rehman College of Dentistry, Peshawar
- Nowshera Medical College, Nowshera
- Gajju Khan Medical College, Swabi.
The official said that the PMDC would not allow ‘over admissions’ by the medical and dental colleges and strict disciplinary action would be taken against the colleges that do so. He said that the Minister for National Health Services Sara Afzal Tarar, was showing full support in uplifting the image of the PMDC. She ensured her full support to improve the working of the PMDC in order to maintain a good relationship with all the international medical and dental organisations. PMDC Acting Registrar Dr Syed Azhar Ali Shah said that the PMDC council members were trying their best to improve the working and functioning of the PMDC. He said that more than 17 cases of medical and dental PhD qualifications were also considered in the meeting but referred to the SRC medical because these programs were not registered with the PMDC, which was a mandatory requirement of the PMDC ordinance 1962.