The Graduate Program at GIK Institute is ensured to be of international standards and will constitute a significant step towards reducing our reliance on advanced countries for higher training in the engineering sciences. The faculty, equipment, laboratories and library facilities provide easy access for the students to the latest corpus of knowledge in their fields of specialization. Our students may have opportunities to complete part of his/her studies at reputed universities abroad under the split degree program.
The GIK Institute graduate program is expected to be a major stride in the evolution of engineering education and research in the country and bringing about a qualitative change in this field. It is envisaged that this will promote productive liaison between the Institute and industry. The research component will focus mainly on the problems of national industry; will act as a conduit for the inflow of latest know-how because of the collaboration with universities and research organizations in the advanced countries. Hence the program will produce engineers and technologists who have the urge, the attitudes, and the skills to lead techno-industrial transformation of the country.
The GIK Institute has undertaken an exciting venture in engineering education and research of the highest order and provided to its students, facilities for professional training and growth for which studies at universities of advanced countries were considered indispensable. The Institute welcomes Graduate students to participate in this venture by joining one of its graduate programs.
Program of Study
The Graduate School offers MS and PhD degrees in the following areas:
- Computer Systems Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Engineering Sciences (including Applied Mathematics & Applied Physics)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- MS in Nanotechnology and Materials Engineering
- MS in Energy Systems Engineering
- MS in Engineering Management
The admission to the MS and PhD degree programs of the Institute is decided on the basis of candidate’s earlier educational achievements and his score in the admission test (GRE subject type) and interviews. There are no special quotas, reserved seats or admission by donations. Nor is there any arbitrary age limit for the applicants. In fact, the Institute is open to all persons of either sex and of any religion, color, creed, class or domicile who are academically qualified for admission to the courses of study offered by the Institute, and no such person shall be denied the privileges of the Institute on the grounds only of sex, religion, color, creed, race, class or domicile.”
Because of revolutionary developments in the technological fields, engineering is no more an exclusively male domain and offers a host of highly rewarding careers, which suit the special endowments of women. The Women Engineers Society (WES) of the Institute also assists the female students in career building / internshÂips and encourages students to pursue a professional career. The Institute has a girlsâ€™ hostel with all the modern amenities and sports facilities for female students.
Graduate Admissions Office
GIK Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology
Topi-23640, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
Tel: (0938) 271858, Ext. 2450
Email: [email protected]
How to APPLY ?
Please download the application form and send it to the graduate admissions office completed in all respects along with the filled in admit card, application fee and other supporting materials.
The following materials are required for admission:
- Completed application form.Â Click here for the Application Form.
- Completed admit card.Â Click here for the Admit Card.
- Three letters of recommendation signed by the referees who are qualified to vouch for the applicantâ€™s academic record and performance.Â Click here for the Recommendation Letter.
- Attested copies of degrees and certificates along with Official transcripts/DMC of all undergraduate and graduate work completed.
- Attested copy of CNIC/Passport
- Four recent passport size color photographs.
- One-page summary outlining the applicantâ€™s previous research and/or his/her practical experience. He/she should also indicate his/her academic and research interest at GIK Institute and work interest after getting his/her degree.
- Original receipt of the amount Rs. 2800/- (nonrefundable) drawn on Habib Bank Ltd. A/C No. 19790000085901.
The admit card along with a copy of prospectus shall be dispatched at the postal address of candidates applying on downloaded form.
An application which is late, incomplete, unaccompanied by any of the above mentioned supporting materials or application fee will not be processed. Applicants who do not fulfill the eligibility criteria for admission will not be shortlisted.
Eligibility and Assessment Criteria
MS Degree Program
- Graduates in Engineering, Sciences and Mathematics from HEC recognized institutions, with a minimum of sixteen years of education (minimum 130 credit hours) in the relevant discipline.
- First class (minimum 60% marks) throughout the academic career.
PhD Degree Program
- Minimum CGPA of 3.00 at MS/MPhil.
- Other conditions as for MS Program.
Admission Test and Interview
||Subjects in which the GRE Subject type test to be conducted
|Computer System Engineering
||Data Structures, Digital Logic, Operating Systems, Computer Architecture, Systems Programming, Databases, Automata and Complexity Theory, Computer Communications and Networks, Object Oriented Programming/Design, Artificial Intelligence.
||Electric Circuits, Electronics Circuits & Devices, Signal Processing, Communications, Controls and Electromagnetics.
||Mathematics General / Physics General
||Mechanics of Solids, Engineering Graphics, Theory of Machines, Design of Machine Elements, Manufacturing Technology, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, HeatTransfer.
|Materials Engineering & Nanotechnology and Materials Engineering
||Heat Treatment, Corrosion, Ceramics and Glasses, Polymers, Composites, Casting and Alloy Production and Welding.
|Energy Systems Engineering
||Topics relevant to the BS degree in Engineering Program.
||Topics relevant to the BS degree in Engineering Program.
Transfer with Advanced Standing
A maximum of 9 credit hours of graduate work done at some PEC accredited and HEC recognized Institution may be transferred with the recommendation of the faculty, provided that;
- The work fits into a logical program for the degree
- The transfer is approved by the office of graduate studies
- A minimum of grade B has been earned.
The Institute is a non-profit organization and provides subsidized education. The annual tuition fee (non-refundable), is as under.
The tuition fee is payable before the commencement of the Fall/Spring semester each year. A non-refundable admission fee of Rs. 52,500/- for Pakistani or US $ 650 for foreign applicants is also required to be deposited along with the annual tuition fee. Rs. 25,000 will be charged as security, refundable at the time of leaving the Institute, subject to the clearance from relevant departments. The final year students are charged convocation fee of Rs. 11,500/-. An advance of Rs. 8,000 is to be deposited by each student as mess security. Actual charges will be deducted from advance amount every month.
Various graduate assistantship schemes are available to provide financial support to the students on merit which include the following:
- Full and Partial Tuition Fee waiver
- Monthly stiped Rs. 10,000/- for 2 years MS program and Rs. 20,000/ for 4 year PhD program
- Free bachelor accomodation
The Institute shall provide free electricity to each student in the hostels as under:
- Summer: 90 Units per month
- Winter: 60 Units per month
In addition to above, free units allowed for common areas per hostel will be as under:
- Summer: 40 Units per month per student
- Winter: 10 Units per month per student
Any excess consumption of electricity in the hostels will be charged from the students.
MBBS/BDS Admissions 2017 Latest Updates: